Christa Bell

Thursday, July 21, 2005

full moon in yehmaya

mohagany browne slanguistics:

"quit act'n light skin'ded" -- stop being upity, i.e. "hightoned"
"kick rocks!"-- beat it, or, "you're getting on my nerves"
"i'ma stab you in the eyeball!"-- 1) stop mess'n with me 2) are you joking? 3) ok, i've had enough of you.

oakland's own (by way of brklyn, new york) mohagony browne, womanist poet extraordinaire, was in town on tour for about four days and she's about as much fun as can fit into my 450 sq ft studio apartment...lol...we kept taking notes on each other and threatning to expose all our wierd artsy quirks by way of blog! i won't do that, but i will say that she's the red bandana'd gangsta to my pink hippie bubble, my new favorite evil twin. she had me constantly grasping my pearls, eyes stretched unbelievingly, mouth O'ed in shock.

after receiving a standing ovation for her amazing performance at the seattle slam and after being thwarted in her attempts to spy on the seattle slam team (we'll be competing against her in abq, new mexico, august 9-13), mobrowne packed up her poems, my favorite purple shawl, and a picture of the green tara and left this morning for a festival in denver.

even though she took up all the space in my bed, hogged all the covers, AND slapped me around at night (she says she was sleeping, that it was totally unconscious and that she wasn't expressing latent agression towards me-matter of fact! she called it free shiatsu massage!), i'm still having abandonment issues...(sniff...sniff...)

YOU AND ME
WILL NEVER PART
(maki-da-da!)
YOU AND ME
US HAVE ONE HEART
(maki-da-da!)
AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN, AIN'T NO SEA
(maki-da-da!)
KEEP MY SISTA 'WAY FROM ME!
(maki-da-da!)

-the color purple

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home